My Photo
Name:
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States

I love my Grandchildren

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Outstanding Educator Award

Tuesday, June 9 was the annual graduation and recognition ceremony for the National Union of Hospital and Healthcare Employees Training and Upgrading Fund, my employer. I was presented with the Outstanding Educator Award. I was truly surprised and pleased to receive the award from my collegues and from the student body. I was surprised because most of the time I don't think my coworkers even like me. I'm the one who usually complains about what I consider "bad" staff behavior. I don't mind calling the lazy, LAZY. I'm the one complaining about disorganized and poorly planned staff activities. I'm the one complaining when meetings don't start as scheduled. I'm the one complaining about lack of funds for needs of learners. I'm the one murmurring about who needs to be let go so that we can spend that salary for the students' needs. I'm the one telling the male students to take off hats and pull up pants. I'm the one telling the sisters that Kool Aid colors are not for hair and tattoos must be covered. (Why would anyone tattoo their name on their body? Do they think they'll forget their own name? And have to look in a mirror to remember?) I'm the one complaining about the use of profanity in the hallways and stairwells. Collegues see me telling learners to turn off cell phones. I'm the one telling students to let their friends and family know they're in school and not to call during class times. We don't have emrgencies. Emergencies are handled by 911, the police or firefighters.

In the classroom, I'm very comfortable. My students, I hope, feel the love I have for teaching and for them. I try to relate to the learners as fellow adults and share with them from my educational and life experiences. I like to tell stories of my youth and intersperse with stories from my parents and grandparents. I use biblical references, without citing chapter and verse, to edify learners. I use lots of old sayings and truisms to make the point that everyone knows something that's worth sharing and everyone can learn. I encourage learners to "think first" then "think fast" (for test-taking purposes.) Focusing on developing skills and confidence has worked for learners over the years. I've found that oftentimes adults are s0 "beaten down" by the world we must live in that they lack the self-esteem to pursue their dreams. They have believed for a long time that they don't deserve anything better than what they have. Their view is limited to the "here and now" of sustaining a family. I try to help students look beyond and be prepared to walk forward.

At last night's graduation the featured speaker was Lisa Nutter, wife of Philadelphia's Mayor and executive director of a local youth organization. She quoted from Galations 6, verse 9. I would add verse 10, the "therefore" verse which links the 2 verses and makes the point:

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

4 Comments:

Blogger Lady (Bug) / Grammy said...

CONGRATULATIONS ARLENE!!! I will have to tell you cousin about this post too. Again, glad that you are back (smile).

Roz

5:21 PM  
Blogger "The Booga Wooga" said...

Hi Cousin Arlene,

Grammy told me about your award and I just wanted to drop by and say congrats to you too. My little sister Sophia is doing well and said to tell you "hi". We really had a good time at Smith Playgound last month and hope that you did too!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Solomon said...

Wonderful message in your post.

1:02 PM  
Blogger LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hi there!

I just wanted to stop by for the first time and I see that congratulations are in order!!

Congratulations!

Please feel welcome to drop by my think tank any time! There are so many educators who are congregating at my blog somedays. I think we just need to say that a conference is underway and please silence all pagers and cell phones!! *LOL*

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home